No autogen at all... SOLVED.

Support forum for the Tahiti and Society Islands scenery.
AnkH

No autogen at all... SOLVED.

Postby AnkH » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:13 pm

Dear Flightscene,

I just bought your product because of the screenshots etc, installed it without any issue into P3D v3.4 and fired up the sim. Sadly, there is no autogen at all, I started in Bora Bora and did a quick flight around the island. While some buildings show up, no trees are seen and those hotels inside the water are also missing. I was not really suprised, as some "autogenmerger" stuff played around with my autogen files and if I am correct, this is all controlled by FTX central. I really do not like if a scenery plays around with the autogen in general, risk is high that somewhere else in the world something goes wrong. But how can I get autogen in Tahiti?

Thanks for any help,

Regards
Christian
Last edited by AnkH on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: No autogen at all...

Postby admin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:11 pm

First thing is to make sure your autogen vegetation is turned on in your display settings. If they are, then find the following file:

Your_P3D_folder\Autogen\AutogenDescriptions.spb

and email it support@flightscene.net.

AnkH

Postby AnkH » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:59 am

Ok, of course my autogen is on, at least I have all other regions of the world covered by autogen ;) I still think that the issue is somehow related to FTX Central and FTX Trees HD. I will send the requested file as soon as possible, thanks for the hint.

AnkH

Postby AnkH » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:25 am

Ok, support tells me, that with my files everything is ok. They think it could be an incompatibility with FTX Central v2 and I should deactivate it to see if this helps... Really? It is hardly possible that I am the only user of Flightscene's Tahiti along with any ORBX product (all ORBX sceneries come with FTX Central...). So, obviously, other people do not have to deactivate FTX Central v2, no? Could it be related to FTX Trees HD? Strange, really strange. Problem is: deactivating FTX Central is a huge hassle, might easily corrupt the whole sim... Any other ideas?

andy

Postby andy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:37 am

I too have this issue.

I worked on the problem for a few hours last night to no avail.

It is for sure an incompatibility with ORBX FTX. I could go into the details of how I know but its long and I didn't glean any fixes or progress with the information I learned. I can also tell you that whatever is wrong may only be fixed by a clean install of FSX/P3D and installing FS SI first then ORBX. But I'm not willing to take the risk.

When I deactivated ORBX sceneries and then entered FSX. The autogen merger happened each time I toggled ORBX regions on and off. With no ORBX regions active I still did not get trees in the Flightscene scenery.

I'm surprised more people are not having this issue. I really feel the developer should look for a work around. Really I don't feel like the problem is too big to tackle and probably has a simple fix. I'm even willing to drag and drop a file every time I want to use it. Taxi 2 Gate fought against an ORBX patch for KSEAs crazy terrain issues, they even told customers to do a clean install, which made a lot of customers angry. But.... they were smart and reached out to Holger Sandmann at ORBX and within a day KSEA was fully patched.

I know its a bit of work but honestly I'm not sure this scenery and ORBX FTX can co-exist correctly without ORBXs help. What would be nice to know is how many people have ORBX FTX that arent having any problems.

Many developers say "Well, my software works fine with default FSX, it's not my software, contact the other guys." but honestly If one developer is more established, its my opinion that the smaller developer needs to reach out to the larger developer. I have seen this play out for many developers. Especially ones who's product does not play well with ORBX or Aerosoft.

Of course, the other side of the coin is that the developer has no obligation to the customer if a product works correctly. FSX /P3D addons is a gray area.

AnkH

Postby AnkH » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:56 am

I totally agree, andy. I simply stopped playing around with my sim in such cases, it makes things more complicated and increases the risk of corrupting the whole sim. Certainly I will never do full re-installation of the whole sim just because a single addon is not working as intended. In the worst case, I wait for an update and if this never arrives, I call the investment for this addon as a regrettable mistake, hit the uninstaller and leave it alone. No time, no energy and certainly no fun in wasting hours only to get a single addon running, those times are definitely over.

vbazillio

Postby vbazillio » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:44 pm

Don't know it it can help, but autogen seem to be fine with Flightscene autogen + FTX Central 2 + FTX HD Trees here, on my rig.

Did you notice that after every time you you have launched FTX Central, then FSx, a flightscene popup message appeared warning about autogen file modification and that you have to relaunch your FSx (at least it works this way on my Prepar3D).

andy

Postby andy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:56 am

Don't know it it can help, but autogen seem to be fine with Flightscene autogen + FTX Central 2 + FTX HD Trees here, on my rig.

Did you notice that after every time you you have launched FTX Central, then FSx, a flightscene popup message appeared warning about autogen file modification and that you have to relaunch your FSx (at least it works this way on my Prepar3D).

Yeah,that helps. Yes, I have noticed that but it makes no difference. I never have any vegetation just buildings.

No, I have too many addons to be continuously changing scenery priorities so that everything plays nice with FTX. One thing I have never liked about FTX is how anytime you go into FTX central it rewrites the scenery.cfg to put all the ORBX stuff as top priority. I hate that because I have freeware sceneries and stuff I have been working on get pushed down the priority list creating all sorts of strange anomalies. I have close to 250 addons all have been customized by me over the years, as a matter of fact I'm not even sure If i reinstalled all of it if I could remember how to fix everything.

I wish I could at least get a little help. Like what files could be involved.

The buildings are showing which to me is showing that it is not an all encompassing exclude issue. It's something very specific with one type of land class or a specific type of vegetation in the configuration editor. I would bet that it only uses one type which is probably ag Mixed Rainforest RF.

Not knowing exactly how the scenery was created (there are many different methods) but I would guess its just the FSX deluxe SDK and polys are being drawn and those polys are being assigned an autogen vegetation type.

I just cant figure out in my limited mind what the common file that ties it all together is considering I went all over the world to see if I had autogen missing and none of it is.

AnkH

Postby AnkH » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:33 pm

vbazillio wrote:Did you notice that after every time you you have launched FTX Central, then FSx, a flightscene popup message appeared warning about autogen file modification and that you have to relaunch your FSx (at least it works this way on my Prepar3D).

Now that is interesting, I will have to try this. So far I always run FTX Central just before firing up the sim (also using P3D), might be that this is the issue on my side. Next time I will run the Flightscene config tool and then directly P3D without touching FTX Central, might fix my autogen issue.

EDIT: ok, this did the trick, thanks for pointing me into this direction. I have full autogen, if I simply open the Tahiti Scenery Config Tool and klick once on "save" and then fire up P3D. If I start FTX Central v2 after doing this, my autogen is gone again. Great, now I can start exploring this nice piece of scenery in its full glory.

andy

Postby andy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:27 am

I have only seen that warning one time and it was after I activated FTX central v2 which was already activated. But normally I don't touch FTX central because of how it rewrites the scenery.cfg.

Is there any way to force autogen config merger to do what vbazillo is talking about?

I ran the Flightscene config tool and hit save but nothing happened when I entered the sim and I still don't have trees.

Return to “Tahiti and Society Islands Support”