VS C++ 2008 runtime problem

Support forum for the Tahiti and Society Islands scenery.
robmw

VS C++ 2008 runtime problem

Postby robmw » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:32 am

I have recently installed the Tahiti scenery and while it is working fine I'm having a problem with the install of the VS C++ 2008 runtime causing side effects with some of my other installed software.

I already have VS C++ 2008 SP1 installed (32 and 64 -bit versions). After installing Flightscene Tahiti I noticed a couple of other programs started raising an 'ordinal not found' error. Sometimes I can acknowledge the error and the affected program will launch but in one case (Speedfan) the program won't start at all. A bit of research pointed to this sometimes happening with the VS C++ 2008 runtime which I note is used by your software. I have tried reinstalling the SP1 runtime but this doesn't fix the problem.

I've confirmed the runtime is the initial cause by restoring a backup image made immediately before the Tahiti install and then installing it again at which point the error re-appears. I notice that the runtime is installed as a new version on my system although it seems to be an earlier version to SP1.

Is it possible for your scenery to use an existing VS C++ 2008 SP1 runtime and if so can the version included with the installer be prevented from installing? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Many thanks,
Rob W

admin
Site Admin

Re: VS C++ 2008 runtime problem

Postby admin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:35 pm

There is no way to prevent the installer from installing, however, you can uninstall any version of the VC++ redistributables via the control panel.

robmw

Re: VS C++ 2008 runtime problem

Postby robmw » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:03 pm

Should have said I did try uninstalling the runtime included with your installer but that didn't work either. As I mentioned reinstalling the SP1 version didn't fix the error. The runtime included with your software causes the error described on my system and I seem to have no way to get rid of it once it's there.

I'm not sure which version of the runtime you have included, it doesn't seem to be the original or SP1 versions of the runtime, at least according to the version numbers I have found documented by Microsoft but I might be mistaken. It's also possible Windows Update has done something to my installed versions at some point!

However, I have managed to resolve the problem another way by:
- installing the Tahiti scenery
- making copies of all the installed components
- restoring a backup image of my c: drive prior to installing Tahiti
- restoring all the previously installed components of the Tahiti scenery to their correct places

This way I end up with an installed copy of the scenery but without the supplied VS C++ 2008, instead using my already installed SP1 version.

I would have been really disappointed if I couldn't have got it to work without the error as not being able to use Speedfan would have been a show-stopper for me. All's well that ends well. :D

Return to “Tahiti and Society Islands Support”